The Bylaw Enforcement Officer assists in ensuring that the City of Greenwood’s bylaws are enforced.  In particular, it is the responsibility of the Bylaw Enforcement Officer to address contraventions of the City of Greenwood’s Property Maintenance Bylaw No. 928, 2018.

If you have any questions regarding City of Greenwood’s bylaws, please contact: (email) Complaint / concern / question forms are also available at the Greenwood City Hall during normal business hours.


Who needs a City of Greenwood business licence?

Many Canadians hold a romantic ideal of what life in a small-town might be like … shorter commutes, fresher air, safer streets, a stronger sense of community. Greenwood is Canada’s smallest city, a historic town, a community with 676 residents, located along Highway #3 nestled in the Kootenay Boundary region of southern British Columbia, and something to be seen.

Anyone carrying on a business in Greenwood for gain or profit needs a Business Licence. Please reference Business Licence Bylaw No. 924, 2018.

Business Licences – $40.00 for a 1 year period (Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st), $60.00 for multi-business using the same entrance, and $20.00 for a seasonal licence.

Building Permit Applications – Application for Building Permit Information contact RDKB 250-442-2708. Fees as per City of Greenwood Building Amendment Bylaw #785.

Dog Licences

Licence fees are subject to chance every year.

Prices starting Feb 1, 2019 are as follows:
Neutered Male           $30.00
Spayed Female           $30.00
Un/Male dog               $40.00
Un/Female dog           $40.00

Burning Permits
– Permit required for open burning – free

Licence to Use and Occupy – Application forms available at the City Office.

Garbage  – City garbage pick-up is Friday.  Please have garbage at curbside by 8 am.

Sprinkling Regulations – Sprinkling and irrigation permitted from 7:00 am to 9:00 am, and 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm daily, unless otherwise posted at City Hall.


Hunting/Fishing Licences available (from HG Insurance)

ICBC – Autoplan sales available (from HG Insurance)

Motor Vehicles – Drivers licence services (from HG Insurance)

West Boundary Landfill (Greenwood) Deadwood Rd, 3 km from Hwy 3: Open Tues, Fri & Sat, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm – tipping fees as per Regional District Kootenay Boundary Bylaw 1232. See website or 1.800.355.7352.